The Lowdown on Low Back Pain
(and Other Aches)


Who should I see for my aching back?

Back pain patients frequently visit primary care doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists. When the pain is severe, does not go away in a few days, or is associated with weakness and numbness, you need a specialist. Neurosurgeons are trained to treat all spinal problems. Most neurosurgeons are very conservative. That means that they avoid surgery unless everything else fails. Exercise, medications, and pain blocks should be tried before most surgery. If surgery is needed, most can now be done minimally invasively.



The information in this site briefly describes issues related to medical treatments, and has been licensed by from Northern California Neurosurgery Medical Group, Inc., who is solely responsible for said content.  This web site is not a substitute for good medical care or for a consultation with a spine specialist. It should not be used to plan your treatment. The well considered advice of a specialist who has personally examined you is always superior to even the best internet pages.

Copyright 2007, Northern California Neurosurgery Medical Group. All rights are reserved.  No part of this web site may be reproduced, transmitted, or stored, electronically or on paper, without the written permission of the Northern California Neurosurgery Medical Group, Inc.
Last modified: 07/27/08